Scott Prouty revealed himself on MSNBC’s “The Ed Show” Wednesday night as the bartender who shot a damaging video of Mitt Romney dismissing President Obama’s supporters during a closed-press fundraiser last year.
“I was behind this whole thing,” Prouty said.
The bartender said he brought a camera to the Boca Raton, Fla. fundraiser in case Romney came back to take pictures with the staff, as former president Bill Clinton had done at another event Prouty worked. ”I didn’t go there with a grudge against Romney,” he said. “I really had no idea he would say what he said.”
Prouty grew up in a blue-collar neighborhood in Boston, he said. He said he felt that people who couldn’t afford to attend a high-priced fundraiser should get a chance “to find out what the candidate actually thinks.”
He said he struggled for two weeks with whether or not to release the video and risk his own career. He did not have health insurance. After wrestling with the decision, he decided it would be cowardly not to release the video: “I went down the path and never looked back.”
The Washington Post, “Scott Prouty Reveals Himself As Man Who Shot ‘47 Percent’ Video” (via inothernews)
Yahoo’s Rachel Rose Hartman reports:
Mitt Romney’s claim in a campaign ad that President Barack Obama “sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China” earned PolitiFact’s “Lie of the Year,” the site announced on Wednesday.
“The Jeep ad was brazenly false,” Angie Drobnic Holan wrote in her analysis.
The Romney campaign ran the ad in the final weeks of the campaign, drawing sharp rebukes from the automakers and public condemnation from the Obama campaign.
Romney first claimed Jeep was moving to China in a late October campaign speech in Ohio, citing “reports,” which he later identified in his ad as a story by Bloomberg News.
But Chrysler immediately rejected the claim, saying the company was reviewing adding production in China, not moving production out of the United States. Chrysler also noted that the Bloomberg story was misinterpreted.