In this tiny state, where residents can run into their congressman at Home Depot, nearly everyone has a story about Sen. Joe Biden.
Take Mary Hartnett, 72, of Wilmington. She was walking home from church in 1977 when a purse-snatcher struck. Biden, who was driving by, jumped out of his car and hot-footed it after the culprit, she says, running through backyards and scaling fences. The thief dropped the pocketbook. The next day, Hartnett sealed it in plastic and put it in her cedar chest.
Joe Biden: The original Cory Booker.
If ever anything needed to be gif’d!
Hurricane Sandy has provided politicians across the Northeast with an excellent opportunity to prove how much they care about their constituencies — especially via social media, the easiest means by which public officials can demonstrate how ~in touch~ they are with real people.
But Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker has truly redefined the concept of civil servitude by going above and beyond by helping his Twitter followers search for their relatives, locate supplies, and de-stress; he invited some New Jerseyites OVER TO HIS HOUSE to power their electronic equipment and “relax.”
He’s asked people to contact him directly (via Twitter Direct Message) so he can come over and charge their cell phones, and, earlier today, he invited a neighbor over to his house to charge her devices and watch DVDs. According to another recent tweet, he also had lunch delivered for the now “twelve or so” people hanging out at his place. What a guy. Bloomberg, can we come over?
Here are some of his other tweets:
Dude. Cory Booker is truly a superhero.
Wow. That is way above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you, Mr. Mayor!!!!
The first two days of the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Tuesday, September 4 and Wednesday, September 5, will be held at Time Warner Cable Arena. President Obama and Vice President Biden will accept the Democratic nominations for President and Vice President on Thursday, September 6.
- Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin
- Congressman Xaiver Becerra of California
- Newark Mayor Cory Booker
- Congressman G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina
- Former President Jimmy Carter (via video)
- San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, who will be the first Latino keynote speaker at a Democratic National Convention
- Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee
- Congresswoman Judy Chu of California
- Congressman Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri
- Former President Bill Clinton
- Congressman James Clyburn of South Carolina
- Former Republican Governor of Florida Charlie Crist
- Lieutenant Governor of North Carolina Walter Dalton
- The Honorable Arne Duncan
- Congresswoman Diana DeGette of Colorado
- Former Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Tammy Duckworth
- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois
- Congresswoman Donna Edwards of Maryland
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
- Georgetown Law School Graduate Sandra Fluke
- Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx
- Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts
- Former Charlotte Mayor Harvey Gantt
- Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm
- Congressman Charlie Gonzalez of Texas
- U.S. Senator Kay Hagan of North Carolina
- California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris
- Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper
- Congressman Steny Hoyer of Maryland
- Former Governor of North Carolina Jim Hunt
- DCCC Chairman Congressman Steve Israel of New York
- Montana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Denise Juneau
- Former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine
- Lieutenant General Claudia Kennedy (ret.)
- Congressman John Larson of Connecticut
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California
- Congressman John Lewis of Georgia
- CarMax co-founder and former CEO Austin Ligon
- President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Nancy Keenan
- Caroline Kennedy
- U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
- Women’s rights activist Lilly Ledbetter
- Obama Campaign Co-Chair Eva Longoria